Matsumoto City Tour
approx. 3 hours【available year-round】
A short taxi tour taking you to the most popular sights in Matsumoto City.
- Visit the famous Matsumoto Castle, the oldest existing 5-story castle in Japan
- Take a look around the Former Kaichi School where West meets East
- Stroll along the shopping streets Nawate and Nakamachi to get a feel of a traditional castle town's atmosphere
Pick-up offered at Matsumoto Station or any hotel or other location within Matsumoto City. For departure points outside of this area, please fill in the departure point on the reservation form and we'll confirm if pick-up is possible.
Please choose from 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00 or 14:00.
For a different departure time, please inquire about the possibility when you book.
Tour is unavailable on Mondays.
● Matsumoto Castle (duration: 1h)
Step into Matsumoto Castle, which is designated as a National Treasure. As you make your way past all floors (including an "invisible" one!), there are many displays with samurai armors, old weaponry and more that teach you all about the castle's long history. Once you get to the top, you'll be met with a spectacular panoramic view of Matsumoto City.
Admission ticket included.
● Former Kaichi School (duration: 30m)
The Former Kaichi School is another National Treasure which is known for its unique quasi-Western architectural design called "giyofu". Step back in time and see what the lives of Japanese school children looked like a 100 years ago.
Admission ticket included.
● Nawate & Nakamachi Street (duration: 50m)
Get a feel of what Matsumoto looked like during the Edo Period hundreds of years ago by strolling through these shopping streets. Nawate Street is also called the "Frog Street" and you'll immediately understand why once you get there. Located across the river is Nakamachi street, which is known for its traditional storehouses. Both streets offer a variety of restaurants and shops, creating the perfect opportunity for you to find a unique souvenir or a delicious snack.
The tour ends at the original departure point.
Want to connect with the local community and learn more about Japan?
We offer the option of having a local volunteer accompany you on selected courses free of charge. Our English-speaking volunteers would love to show you around and tell you all about the places you'll visit. If you'd like to have a volunteer join you during your trip, please select the option on the reservation form (subject to availability).
- Reservation confirmation will be received within 72 hours of booking.Infant seats are available.
- Infant seats are available.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- The tour schedule may be subject to change or cancellation due to the weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Changes to the tour schedule are not possible on the day of travel. If you have any questions or need to make changes, please contact us in advance.
Payment for the tours must be made online in advance via a credit card. We will send you a link to complete the payment once we've confirmed the tour's availability. If the payment is not completed one day before the scheduled departure date, the reservation may be cancelled.
For a full refund, cancel at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled departure date. If you cancel within 2 days prior to the departure date, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 24 hours of the departure date, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.