The Magnificent "Roof of Japan"
Take an unforgettable trip through 3000m-class mountains and a gigantic corridor of snow.
The Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route is one of the world's leading mountain sightseeing routes that runs through the 3,000 m-class mountains of the Northern Alps. The route has a total length of 37.2 km and a maximum elevation difference of 1,975 m. Almost all of its sections lie in the Chubu Sangaku National Park. From Omachi City's "Ogizawa Station" on Nagano Prefecture's side transfer vehicles at Tateyama Town's "Tateyama Station" on Toyama Prefecture's side. While passing through several picturesque sceneries, you can fully enjoy the spectacular nature of Tateyama Kurobe spreading above the clouds.
Where to Visit
- Tateyama Snow Corridor
- Tateyama Snow Corridor, at an elevation of 2,450m, is one of the most snow-heavy places in the world. The snow wall can often stretch up to 20 meters high. The area is closed during the winter period due to the heavy snowfall and for safety reasons, but between April and June this famous snow corridor opens to the public to pass through.
- Kurobe Dam
- This 186m Kurobe Dam, the largest arch dam in Japan, is a breathtaking spot surrounded by scenic mountains and valleys. Visitors can observe the dynamic water release from summer to autumn. Hopping on the leisure boat that cruises along the Kurobe Lake, or taking a walk along the lakeside path is highly recommended.
- At 2,450 m, this is the highest point on the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route. One of the most picturesque spots within walking distance is Mikurigaike Pond. From June you can see the peak of Mt. Tateyama reflected in the cobalt blue surface of the pond. This pond was called ""a kitchen pond for god"" and its water was used to cook meals for the god residing in the mountain. This area is home to many alpine plants and 'raicho' birds (rock ptarmigan) might be seen hiding in the pine bushes.
- Midagahara Boardwalk
- Follow the boardwalk through this wetland area dotted with pretty ponds. There are many interesting things to see in this area including an observation deck for a caldera formed during volcanic activity 200,000 years ago. Beautiful flowers can be enjoyed here from June to September and autumn foliage from September to October.
- Mt. Daikanbo
- Mt. Daikanbo is a cable car station that looks like it's protruding from the steep cliffs. From the cloudtop terrace on the roof of the station as well as the observation desk on the second floor, you can enjoy the views of the emerald Kurobe Lake or the Tateyama mountain range towering before your eyes. Another way to enjoy the wonderful scenery of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route is by using the Tateyama Ropeway that connects Daikanbo and Kurobedaira. While on the ropeway, you can see a magnificent 360° panoramic view spreading out in front of you that will surely take your breath away.
Travel Stories in Tateyama Kurobe
Using an ALPICO bus is highly recommended
when traveling to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route!
Fully equippedwith free Wi-Fiand a power outlet
You can enjoy using the internet freely while traveling!
Much cheaperthan the train
Taking the bus instead of the train will save you up to *5,950 yen!(*Calculated when using reserved seating on the Tokyo-Nagano Shinkansen)
Take a direct bus for an even smoother and more comfortable ride!